NORTH FINCHLEY TUTORS – 11 PLUS
If you are thinking of sending your child to an independent (private) school or grammar school, they will more than likely have to take the 11 plus entrance exam. The 11 plus is a non-compulsory examination taken by pupils in their last year of primary school and is used for academic selection. Depending on where you are in the UK, it can contain Maths, English, verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning questions. Some children naturally excel at these subjects and need very little in the way of formal support but do still benefit from coaching on actual exam technique and the vocabulary used in exams. For others they require more specific coaching and structured support which is where a private tutor can be extremely helpful.
VERBAL AND NON-VERBAL REASONING
For many students this will be the first time they are embarking on an exam, so it can be a daunting and stressful time where they are having to get to grips with lots of brand-new concepts. As well as being able to demonstrate ability in familiar core subjects like English and Mathematics, your child will have to show they can answer questions on verbal and non-verbal reasoning which to many will be completely alien. Put very simply, non verbal reasoning refers to using pictures, shapes and diagrams to solve problems. Verbal reasoning relies on one’s ability to solve problems using words in a logical and methodical way, using analytical skills.
If this sounds complex to you as an adult, then just imagine how perplexing it all is to a child!
Choose from our one-to-one or private group tuition classes held in North Finchley and we will ensure:
- We are providing a safe, supportive and interactive learning environment for children.
- Students receive tailored support in the subject areas that their private tutor has identified as needing the most attention.
- Emphasis is placed on the importance of speed and accuracy when taking exams.
- We provide guidance on exam technique – i.e. how to read and interpret questions thoroughly, carefully and accurately, time management etc.
- Students are equipped with all the coping strategies needed to remain calm under pressure, to make sure nerves do not get the better of them.
Schools who we specialise for:
- Queen Elizabeths Boys School
- Henrietta Barnett School
- Dame Alice Owens School
- The Latymer school
- St Michaels Catholic grammar school
Over the years we have seen pupils who undertake our 11 plus tuition classes become more confident, determined, relaxed and knowledgeable which has undoubtedly contributed to them winning places at their first choice of grammar or private school. North Finchley Tutors prides itself on delivering high-quality private tuition at affordable prices, available at flexible times to fit around families’ busy lives. Our private tutors create a calm, safe nurturing environment designed to help students learn in a fun and interactive manner and become the best version of themselves they can possibly be. Please see The Reasoning section for a list of London Independent Schools who we specialise in.